August, already? What!? Our dreams of a lazy summer are fading fast, quickly replaced with back-to-shopping and “routines.” Fall seems like it’s just around the corner. In fact, we were in a local craft store that was stocked full with (gasp!) Christmas decorations.
OK, it’s time to regroup and squeeze the last bit of fun, relaxation and enjoyment out of this Charleston summer. We’ve put together a list of eight things we need to do before the first hint of fall comes knocking. Won’t you join us?
- Splash in the Pineapple Fountain at Waterfront Park.
- Build a sand castle at a local beach. Also acceptable: burying someone in the sand, collecting seashells or sitting in a beach chair with a magazine. See our local beach guide
- Buy summer fruits and veggies at the Charleston Farmers Market (8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays in Marion Square).
- See Charleston from the water. Book a cruise with Charleston Harbor Tours to see the Holy City from a different vantage point. Don’t forget the camera to snap some great shots of the Ravenel Bridge.
- Touch a shark. OK, preferably not one that’s in the actual ocean while we’re at the beach. Instead, check out the Shark Shallows exhibit at the South Carolina Aquarium.
- Have a cocktail on a rooftop restaurant. May we suggest The Vendue Rooftop or Stars Rooftop, both of which are located in the heart of downtown Charleston. See this article for more outdoor dining options.
- Watch an outdoor movie in the park (Wannamaker Movie Night or Movies in the Park with Cinebarre)
- Take a #CharlestonSelfie. Snap a selfie at a Charleston landmark and share with us on social media. We might just pick yours for inclusion in our fall magazine.
- OK….we’re doing more than 8! Get active on one of these tours which include zip lining, rope climbing, kayaking and fishing charters.
What did we miss? What’s on your must-do list before summer in Charleston comes to a end?